1 lb. Italian sausage, casings removed
1 cup chopped onions
2 large garlic cloves, sliced
5 cups beef stock
2 cups chopped tomatoes
8-oz can tomato sauce
1 1/2 cups zucchini, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 cup frozen green beans
2 tbsp dried basil
2 tbsp dried oregano
8-10 oz. package cheese tortellini
salt and pepper to taste
freshly grated Parmesan cheese for topping
1. Saute sausage in heavy Dutch oven over medium heat until cooked through (about 10 minutes), breaking it up as it browns with a wooden spoon.
2. Using a slotted spoon, transfer sausage to a large bowl. Pour off all but 1 tbsp drippings from Dutch oven. Add onions and garlic to the 1 tbsp drippings and saute about 5 minutes.
3. Return sausage to pan. Add beef stock, tomatoes, tomato sauce, zucchini, carrots, pepper, green beans, basil, and oregano. Simmer 30-40 minutes until vegetables are tender.
4. Add tortellini and cook 8-10 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
5. Ladle hot soup into bowls and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.