This. Is one of my favorite desserts. Don’t think twice – go get the ingredients! This is adapted from Bobby Flay. He calls for a dollop of whipped cream and maraschino cherries on top, but my whole family thinks this is just as good with the main ingredients.
2 tbsp unsalted butter
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
2 tablespoons dark rum (such as Gosling’s)
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 small pineapple – peeled, sliced 1/2 thick and cored (you can get this already sliced and cored at most grocery stores)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 9-inch loaf vanilla pound cake
1) Melt butter in a saucepan over high heat. Add brown sugar and rum. Cook, whisking, until sugar has melted and mixture is smooth. Whisk in heavy cream and cook until heated through and slightly thickened – around 2 minutes. Remove from heat and cover with foil to keep warm.
2) Heat grill to high.
3) Brush pineapple with oil and grill about 5 minutes.
4) While pineapple is grilling, grill poundcake on both sides until golden brown – just about a minute or two.
5) Set pound cake on plates.
6) Take pineapple off grill and cut into big chunks.
7) Top each piece of pound cake with pineapple and drizzle with caramel rum sauce.