Please excuse the crappiness of this picture. There was so much steam coming off of this dish that it clouded the lens! This meal is adapted from the Pioneer Woman who is just the best.
1 1/4 lbs ground beef
1/2 large onion, diced finely
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp fresh black pepper
1/4 cup flour
1/2 cup canola oil
2 green bell pepper, roughly chopped
1 1/2 cup pineapple slices (fresh if you have it, but canned will work in a pinch)
2 cups beef broth
2 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup white wine vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
1 tbsp cornstarch (at least – I used almost twice this)
crushed red pepper to taste (I used what seemed like a lot and I wanted it even spicier – just taste test at the end!)
1) Mix together beef, onion, egg, salt, pepper, breadcrumbs, and crushed red pepper in a large bowl. Roll meatballs into golf ball sized balls and put on a greased cookie sheet. Place in freezer for about 15 minutes to help firm up (but not freeze).
2) Cook rice according to package directions.
3) Stir beef stock, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar and cornstarch in a bowl. Whisk together to blend.
4) Heat oil over medium-high heat in large, deep skillet. Take meatballs out of the freezer and roll in flour. Saute in pan until browned on all sides, for a few minutes. (They’ll continue to cook more in the sauce.) Remove meatballs from skillet and set aside.
5) Add green peppers into pan and cook for just one minute (they want to stay fairly crunchy). Add pineapple and cook one more minute. Pour in sauce and add meatballs. Stir to combine and cook for few minutes until sauce thickens. I had to add some more cornstarch at this point to help it thicken up. Add more salt and crushed red pepper to taste.
6) Serve over rice.