Subtly sweet. A bit salty. Hint of whiskey. Still a little crunchy. I love these carrots.
1 stick of butter, divided
2 lbs carrots, chopped thickly
1/2 cup whiskey
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp kosher salt
fresh black pepper to taste
2 tbsp chives, chopped
1) Shred carrots and chop.
2) Melt 1 tbsp butter in a large, deep skillet over high heat.
3) Cook carrots one pound at a time for 90 seconds each and then remove from heat and set aside.
4) Pour whiskey into pan (still on high heat) and cook for 30 seconds so it starts to evaporate. Reduce heat to medium. Add the rest of your stick of butter. After the butter melts, add brown sugar to the pan. Stir and add carrots. Cover pot with a lid and cook for 5 minutes.
5) Season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook (uncovered) until glaze has thickened slightly, for about 5 more minutes.
6) Serve immediately with with chives.